I don’t believe I’ve ever met a child who wasn’t mildly to severely obsessed with Minions from Despicable Me. Which is why one of my most requested things is a crochet minion hat pattern. Everywhere I go outside there’s yellow and blue back packs, lunch boxes, drink bottles and t-shirts.
I always wonder about the appeal of characters like the Minions. They’re really cute and silly and they don’t speak a real language which seems like a popular trait of famous kids characters. Like the Teletubbies or the Rabbids (oh I should do some Rabbid inspired amigurumi soon!). I think they must just be really relatable for kids. Having said that it only takes half of my girlfriends one glass of bubbles before they’re shrieking ‘BA-NA-NA!!!’ at me so they clearly have intergenerational appeal.
One of my Crochettes asked me the other day if I had a pattern for a crochet minion hat. I personally do not. I would love to take the time to design one but I have so many other projects I’m working on so I thought, in lieu of designing my own hat, I’d do a round up of my favourite minion hats on the web.
1. Newborn Crochet Minion Hat from Hopeful Honey
2. Earflap Minion Crochet Hat from Lakeview Cottage Kids
3. Crochet Minion Earflap Beanie from Damn It Janet Let’s Crochet
4. Despicable Me Minion Beanie from All Day Chic
5. Crochet One Eye Goggles Minion Hat from House of Speranza
6. Beanie Crochet Minion Hat from Butterfly’s Creation
7. Seamless Crochet Minion Hat from Rainbow Warrior
8. Earflap Crochet Minion Beanie from Inspired Nest
9. Crochet Minion Hat Pattern from Hobby Craft
Do let me know if you make one of the designs above, I’d love to see your handy work.
Also have you ever made a character hat before? I’ve seen Angry Birds and Monster’s Inc hats and I’ve always been tempted to make one!